After the Flood – Going Home ? Beware of Toxic Molds.
New Jersey Office of Emergency Management offers the following safety tips regarding flood cleanup.
Flood Safety – After The Flood
Many areas of the state experienced significant flooding over the past few days. Know how to stay safe after a flood:
• Listen to local authorities for information and instructions.
• Return home only when authorities say it is safe.
• Avoid driving, except in emergencies. NEVER drive through flooded areas and ALWAYS obey traffic barriers.
• Snakes and other animals may be in your house. Wear heavy gloves and boots during clean up.
• Be aware of the risk of electrocution. Do not touch electrical equipment if it is wet or if you are standing in water. If it is safe to do so, turn off the electricity to prevent electric shock.
• Avoid wading in floodwater, which can contain dangerous debris and be contaminated. Underground or downed power lines can also electrically charge the water.
• Use a generator or other gasoline-powered machinery ONLY outdoors and away from windows.